Thursday, February 01, 2007

Our Wedding

Well the title might sound confusing but yes its true, this time round am narrating our wedding which took place a month back in Dec 2006. Just for clarification, this is the Indian wedding and the one which united us before was the civil wedding:)

Well, I left for India on 9th Dec, feeling very overwhelmed at the thought of going to my hometown alone and not knowing when I would come back. I was very disturbed and emotional. But then, I cheered up and travelled. I made a good friend anu on the trip back home. Landed safely on 11th and then began my journey of preparation for the wedding.

We went to Nalli's in Mahalakshmi and Matunga and finally picked out the wedding sarees from the latter..and then couple others from Lakshmi saree shop. Whew it was a good week's efforts.


Then we went to Mangalore and by that time R had landed there too. He didnt come to receive me at the airport :( Then we got real busy, one day parlour, one day vayana decorations and one day mehendi!It was a beautiful experience. Also in between all this, shopping for R..this was even more fun.

Then on 23rd we had Phool Mudi function where the groom's side is welcomed by the bride's side! Groom's feet are washed and cleaned by my parents. Then he's given some gift like chain and ring. This is where the name "mudi" comes into picture which means ring. Similarly the girl gets her share of gifts like bangles and chain by her mother in law. All in all its a small fun function where near and dear ones meet each other.

Once blessed by all, we departed to meet again the next day for our traditional wedding!

Early morning next day there was total chaos as I had to go for Udada muhurth but my hair dresser hadnt turned up.
Then we had the lentils("dal") grinding episode where every lady in my family comes up to me and grinds the dal with me in the milling stone just so that I learn the household activities..! Same time, R was also taught the same stuff by his side of ladies..! Something new and interesting :)

Later I was sent to get dressed for the main wedding. This was still more fun. The saree that I wear is not the normal way of wearing it. I am supposed to wear the "kaas" i.e. ladies dress in this style during important puja's etc.

The other factor is am supposed to be wearing a white shawl indicating that I still dont know how to wear a saree and after marriage my mother in law would teach me how to wear one! Interesting huh :) Well, all set like this, I venture out to get married to R..my one and only sweetheart! We stand facing each other and through holy chants going on, we accept each other and exchange garlands. Then R takes me with him to walk the seven holy steps..indicating our future life together. We also tie the holy thread on each other's wrists. After that, he ties the sacred kashithali around my neck and we are married following all the rituals!

Then I again change and my mother in law welcomes me into their house..and I become a part of the shenoy family! The day ends by celebrating with all near and dear ones!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.